About the Program
International Studies is an interdisciplinary program that provides knowledge of major international or global issues including:
- regional and global political economies;
- comparative cultural and political systems;
- ethnicity, identity, and belief systems;
- peace, conflict, and wars;
- gender, culture, and politics; and
- global science, health and environmental issues.
The major prepares students for careers as specialists or representatives in: international relations, international publications, cross cultural training in educational and business fields, international development, public affairs, government foreign service, export sales, and international research.
Students in the major will:
- develop a working knowledge of a modern foreign language;
- experience living and studying abroad or working with an international organization focused on international issues to prepare them for international careers or graduate study;
- become knowledgeable of at least one major region of the world;
- become knowledgeable about significant global issues; and
- conduct research on an international, regional, or global issue in conjunction with a senior research seminar or experience, or work with non-governmental organizations (NGOs).